The Baker Home, 1898 to 1909
Built in 1887 as the home of Cranbrook founder Col. James A. Baker, this very early building is owned and operated by the Foundation. It was originally owned by the City who transferred it to the Foundation in 1982. It was restored in 1982-83 to commercial building code requirement for leasing purposes. This remarkable structure is still in its original location in Baker Park, just off 1st Street, S. near 14th Ave. S., and today houses the Forest Renewal Prgoram of the Government of B.C. on the main floor and specially designed facilities for the Childcare Society for the East Kootenay on the lower (ground) floor opening directly into Baker Park.