4.2 The CPR-YMCA

 
 
   
 
 
  4.2 The imposing CPR-YMCA (built 1910, demolished 1974) stood at the west end of Baker St. next to the railway across Van Horne Street (later Highway 3/95). It later became the Armories and finally the Boys & Girls Club. The highway originally turned at the corner of 8th Ave and Baker St, rather than going across the front of the building, thus providing a small triangular park in front. The Elko Station at the former site (used from1977 - 2001) of the Canadian Museum of Rail Travel now rests on a portion of the foundation of this building. CBK.1976.034.107
 

Next Image

Gallery Contents