4.3 The Provincial Courthouse

 
 
   
 
 
  4.3 The Provincial Courthouse (built 1906, demolished 1956) was located in a high-profile position in the centre of Baker St. at the east end at 13th Ave. S. This building represented Cranbrook's final supremacy over Fort Steele, the former seat of government and population centre during the 1890’s. The Government offices were relocated to Cranbrook in 1906 and that was the beginning of the end of Fort Steele; it became a provincial heritage site in the early 1960’s. City Hall was accessed via the side stair until 1911, when the new City Hall was built. CBK.1994.019.004
 

Next Image

Gallery Contents