10.5 The Baker Home by 1982.

 
 
   
 
 
  10.5 The Baker Home by 1982. This photo shows restoration work beginning on the much-deteriorated building. It was lifted to remove the old rotted wooden pilings and beams to build a new concrete& steel foundation. The Bakers had left permanently by 1914, and the immediate land, called the Baker Estate, was transferred to the City to become Baker Park. The house continued to be used by the City, but by 1982 the it was scheduled to be a “fire demonstration project” for the City Fire Dept. The Cranbrook Archives, Museum and Landmark Foundation stepped in to save the historic house, with the City transferring the land and building (but no money) to the Foundation. CBK.1983.028.004
 

Next Image

Gallery Contents