Curzon
Home

The Curzon Story (3 of 13)
Uses of the various cars
after the train was discontinued in 1914

Yahk in 1920sObservation Car Yahk No. 751.
From rear of Train, No. 1, The Imperial Limited at Field.
September 29, 1923
BC Archives Photo: F-06809

The various cars, including the tail-end cars, are assigned to other international routes used by the Soo Line and by Canadian Pacific in the 1920's. These include the Twin Cities and Montreal, via Sault St. Marie, and the Boston and Montreal. The cars are used as well in other "Soo-Pacific" services such as the mainline CPR route to Vancouver. In the late 1920's, the outer stained "gothic" sash in the tail-end cars is covered by steel letterboards. However, the interior stained glass and all decoration is preserved from the 1907 design.

The stock market crash of 1929 sets many railroad operations into a tailspin. The cars are now over 20 years old, and are beginning to show their age. They are put into storage, finally being put up for sale, or scrapping. Curzon is sold and becomes a country summer cottage in 1934 — its wheels and undercarriage removed — and the body set on a foundation

As railways compete for declining traffic, the heavyweight steel car construction era also ends due to the Great Depression, and lightweight car design takes over in the mid-1930's. The lightweight streamlined era is given a highlight in the mid-1950's in Canada with the introduction of the stainless steel lightweight "Canadian". However, it is the swan song of luxury rail travel not only in Canada, but also in North America. Jet air travel takes over long distance travel.

NextNext