Combination Baggage-Dormitory # 4489 (arrived 1986)

(2 of 3)

  A Brief History of the # 4489 before its Arrival at the Museum  

# 4489 is unique in the Trans-Canada Limited set in that it was never modernized in any way. Although the baggage area heating grills were removed, the rest of the car survived much as it had been built in 1929.

Because of the economic depression of the 1930's these cars were put into service for a very short period of time. Their design without stair access also reduced their flexibility for use in other trains.

Most were converted to full baggage cars, but # 4489 survived intact, and was transferred to the DOFASCO Steel Company in Hamilton, Ontario at a later date. There it languished for many years serving as a club car for the DOFASCO employees model railway club. The baggage area was used for the models, and the seating area for the meeting and socializing purposes. No changes had been made.

After several years of negotiations between the museum and DOFASCO, it was decided that the car would be donated to the museum when no longer required by the employees when other facilities were provided for the model. Although the interior of the car was intact and in excellent condition, the exterior steel was beginning to show deterioration by the acidic air of Hamilton. Several holes were found through the steel, and most lower wood window frames were also damaged.




In 1985, DOFASCO decided to relocate the model railway club and donate the car to the museum. In early 1896, the Canadian Pacific Railway and DOFASCO worked together to repair the undercarriage and wheel bearings to allow the car to travel on its own wheels. It was brought to Vancouver, courtesy of the railway, in time for display at Expo '86 with the other Trans-Canada cars. When the train returned home to Cranbrook in October 1986, it had this rare car attached at the front of the other passenger cars. This was the first time since1930 that car # 4489 had been a part of theTrans-Canada.

To 4489 (3 of 3)