Day Parlour Car # 6751 (arrived 1989) (2 of 3)


A Brief History of the # 6751 before its Arrival at the Museum
 
Parlour car # 6751 continued in service through the 1930's economic depression on various trains. As shown in the floor plan changes (previous page), it was altered in the mid-1930's to increase the size of the ladies room which had proved to be too small. The end bulkhead was moved forward two window lengths. The two separate inlaid panels were also joined together and the door was moved to the side where a small hall bypassed the ladies' room. This reduced the main room seating by 3 to a total of 27 chairs. In the 1940's the main bulkhead in the men's room was also moved forward by one window length to enlarge that room, and reducing the main room by another 2 parlour chairs to a total of 25 chairs. Air conditioning had also been added, reducing the ceiling height approximately 6 inches. In the 1950's, the original parlour chairs were replaced with modern reclineable ones with folding foot pads. In the 1960's it was used as a commuter car for the CPR in Montreal area, with further modernization. The ceilings and venting had also been removed prior to the car coming to the museum.
     
  Car # 6751 was found along with sleeper Travers (Somerset) at the South Sinco Railway Group at Tottenham, Ont. Both cars were obtained at the same time to complete the Trans Canada Limited train set. Since the cars were in a location not connected to active rails, they had to be lifted by two cranes each and set on trucks and then taken about 12 miles to active rail, were they were loaded again onto their wheel sets. The total crane and reassembly costs were nearly $20,000 for the one day's move. The cars were then transported to Cranbrook courtesy of the CPR.
     
To 6751 (3 of 3)