Dining Car Argyle (arrived 1976) (1 of 3)

Original Floor Plan and Interior Finish of the Argyle

     
 

The Argyle was one of 15 A-Class dining cars built in 1929 to re-outfit the Trans-Canada Limited. Another 8 were built in 1931.

Based on the usual floor plan for dining cars of that period, it contained dining facilities for 36 patrons at 6 tables for 4 and 6 tables for 2 along a central aisle.Food storage and preparation facilities were located at the A-end of the car (in the direction of travel) with two pantries and full galley. A public hallway by-passed these rooms while a small door in the galley permitted loading from the outside. At the B-end of the car a small curved cabinet contained a Baker Heater which as used as a supplement for heating the car in extremely cold weather and when the car was set off on its own.

 
The interiors were finished in black walnut which was a departure from the Honduran mahogany normally used in car interiors. Extensive marquetry adorned the surfaces of the dining room, while large book-matched burls in halves and quadrants provided further subtleties. Special walnut-framed chairs were constructed for these cars and upholstered in blue calf-skin leather, the backs of which were a complex curve in 3-dimensions. Three large brass fandoliers were located in the upper ceiling, and twelve 3-bulb fixtures lined the walls over each table. Heavy wool Axminster covered the floor in a blue & gold design.
     

 

To Argyle (2 of 3)